According to the Moore County Sheriff’s Office, two substations were shot at on Saturday night, resulting in a significant power outage in North Carolina.
Due to the illicit activity, over 40,000 individuals were left without electricity.
experiencing power outages just after 7 p.m. Saturday, the Moore County Sheriff's Office said in a Facebook post. pic.twitter.com/jJoBS3Q6wx— いぶき (@ibuki53010508) December 4, 2022
A gate at one of the places, according to Mike Cameron of the Southern Pines Fire and Rescue Department, had been removed from its hinges.
According to Jeff Brooks, a spokesman for Duke Energy, technicians are dealing with many equipment failures in Moore County substations.
“We are actively investigating signs of potential vandalism related to the outages.”
The sheriff’s office concurred with Brooks’ assertion.
Sheriff Ronnie Fields of Moore County reported that a criminal investigation is being conducted into the widespread power outage that affected the whole county. On December 3, 2022, a Saturday night, various Moore County villages started losing electricity just after 7 o’clock.
“As utility companies began responding to the different substations, evidence was discovered that indicated that intentional vandalism had occurred at multiple sites.”
Deputies from the Moore County Sheriff’s Office and other law enforcement agencies in the county responded to the various locations and are enhancing site security.
The vandalism was described as a violent incident in the Facebook post.
“I have spoken with Duke Energy and state law enforcement officials about the power outages in Moore County. They are investigating and working to return electricity to those impacted. The state is providing support as needed,” Governor Roy Cooper said on a Tweet last Sunday.
Calling the Moore County Sheriff’s Office at 910-947-2931 is the best way to get in touch with someone who may have information about the occurrence.